Granite cookware has a carbon steel core that is coated with porcelain enamel. You might ask why it is named as granite? Does it contain granite? It was named Granite because of similarity in their appearance and it does not contain granite. Granite cookware is considered to be safe to cook any type of cooking despite their acidity level.
Ceramic cookware considers being a less toxic option in the 1960s. According to the FDA, there is a high possibility Ceramic cookware is contaminated with lead. Later, current ceramic cookware followed FDA guidelines, and they no longer made lead-containing cookware. Thus it brings safe cooking for the individual.
They use aluminum or clay and water to make cookware. Thus the cookware has a ceramic coating that gives a non-sticky experience. As a result, you can cook any food since it does not contain toxic chemicals.
You can find two types of ceramic cookware in today’s market.
Ceramic coated cookware –
There are of two types,
Natural and common type –
This type of cookware is produced from naturally occurring minerals, for instance, clay and quartz sand.
Ceramic coated cookware –
has a metal core aluminum, and it has a ceramic-coated non-stick cooking surface made from natural sand derived silicon called Sol-gel. For example, Ceramic coatings are added in patented types like Thermolon which are used by GreenPan and Greenlife. Thermolon was produced from an inorganic, ceramic polymer based on silica that was coated using a Sol-gel process. It has a combination of silicon and oxygen and basic element sand. It overcame environmental and engineering inefficiencies that were found in organic non-stick coatings such as PTFE.
Solid ceramic cookware –
This is made up of clay and water. These two minerals are mixed and poured into a mold, and they are kiln-baked to harden. That’s why they are called kiln-baked cookware. When the solidifying process is finished, it was dipped to make it stain-resistant and non-stick.
Ceramic-coated cookware is toxic-free, so you will not face the risk of harmful fumes that are released when the ceramic cookware is overheated.
While buying cookware it is important to notice the product’s nonstick capabilities. If you are buying a top-quality granite and ceramic cookware, it has to bypass the test. Since both have good porcelain coating it prevents food from sticking.
Both the cookware are nonstick, so you can cook healthier food for your family. You can cook a tomato sauce in both cookware since it doesn’t change the taste and smell of your cook. These cookers help you to save time and energy. But the ceramic cooker is preferred because it retains heat well even when it was switched off.
What are the harmful chemicals which shouldn’t contain in cookware? Lead, PFOA, and PTFE are the toxic chemicals that you shouldn’t be in your cookware.
If cookware doesn’t meet the standards of the FDA, then you should not buy, and the cookware you are buying must be proven and they should have followed the FDA guidelines.
Since both the cookware doesn’t contain toxic elements they are not harmful to human life. Many people prefer granite cookware because it has a lesser amount of chipping feature, and it doesn’t change the taste and color.
While you are planning to buy cookware, check the cookware which can bear up a lot of heat. Too much heat exposure can damage the coating, and it can cause damage or breakage. Keep in mind durability should be considered while shopping.
Granite cookware is resistant to breakage even if it falls accidentally since it has a steel carbon core. It can withstand higher temperatures, and they can be slowly cooked under medium settings.
Ceramic cookware is not that much resistant as granite cookware. It can break easily and their durability depends on how you’re going to handle it. It has a shorter life span when compared to granite cookware.
People always get attracted to colors. A lot of them choose their cookware that matches their kitchen decor. Granite cookware has dark colors that are considered to be dull and unattractive. The dark color is due to the presence of carbon atoms.
Ceramic cookware gives a shiny attractive appearance to the people in different colors. Thus ceramic gained popularity when compared to granite cookware since it has many shades.
- Graphite cookware doesn’t rust.
- The inner carbon steel core delivers the heat consistently by this cooking time. The inert has porcelain enamel which helps you to cook ingredients safely.
- The heat is absorbed faster due to the dark porcelain surface.
- It doesn’t have any harmful chemicals to affect our health.
- Granite cookware is lighter in weight so it is easy to handle.
- It can be cleaned easily without affecting the coating layer. It is dishware safe but you have to wash with your hands to avoid longevity issues.
- Ceramic cookware offers a good option to gain healthy food habits.
- The cookware is sold in the market for affordable size.
- It is not suitable for glass stove tops since it can break the glass.
- Modern granites have thin layers, it cannot hold heat and the outcome is poor heat retention.
- If you want to prevent your glassware from chipping, use wooden or plastic kitchen utensils for cooking.
- A thin layer of coating can lead to chipping.
- Manufacturers claim the cookware is non-sticky but buyers find the food sticking to the cooking surface.
- Since granite cookware is a black color they tend to appear ordinary and unattractive in the eyes of the buyers.
- As you know by now ceramic cookware is free from harmful chemicals like PTFE and PFOA.
- Ceramic cookware is constructed in an eco-friendly way.
- They can be cleaned easily since it is non-stick cookware.
- While cooking, you can flip your pancakes, eggs or other vegetables without sticking on the surface.
- You can live with a healthy lifestyle because food doesn’t easily stick to the surface and you can use less oil for cooking.
- They are lighter in weight just like graphite cookware.
- It doesn’t affect the taste or smell of the food.
- Since it cooks food faster you can save your time.
- And you can expect the food to be thoroughly cooked due to their outstanding heat conduction.
- Unlike black graphite cookware, ceramic cookware has different designs and colors.
- This model is not good for high heat cooking.
- Ceramic cookware is not friendly with metal utensils. Instead, it damages the coating so use plastic or wooden kitchen utensils.
- Chipping can occur in this type of cookware.
- It loses its non-stick properties faster than other non-stick cookware.
- Ceramic cookware is less durable, when the cooking surface breaks down, you have no other choice but you have to replace it with a new one.